Let’s grow through Lent together with common scripture and practices
Lent is a season traditionally associated with repentance and renewal of spiritual disciplines as we anticipate Easter. We make room for new life of Resurrection by allowing the Spirit to remind us who we are in Christ, examen our hearts and shape our appetites.
Alongside our ‘Journey to Easter’ series (March 5-April 2), we will be posting WEEKLY SCRIPTURE from the lectionary that will keep us growing together. Spread them out through the week or immerse yourself in one sitting – starting with silence before our Father, sitting with Jesus, ending with surrender to the work of the Holy Spirit.
We will post weekly scripture every Wednesday on Instagram and Facebook but to help you avoid social media during this season all scripture is listed here or below.
We encourage you to add the following practices during Lent:
- Fast weekly (choose one meal or a whole day) to allow your physical hunger to remind you of your spiritual hunger; fasting also helps us surrender other areas of our lives we want God to transform; you can additionally fast from other patterns in your life that are distracting or need to be reoriented towards the way of Jesus.
- Choose a time and place to pray in community from one of our weekly prayer slots
- Make our Sunday worship gathering a priority as we journey through the last week of Jesus’ earthly life in March.
- Join our 3-week group experience where you will interact in community with the gospel texts associated to Jesus’ final week.
- Mark your calendars for our Good Friday and Easter Sunday (April 7 & 9)
SCRIPTURE FOR LENT
- Ash Wednesday: Joel 2:1-2, 12-17 or Isaiah 58:1-12, Psalm 51:1-17, 2 Corinthians 5:20b-6:10, Matthew 6:1-6, 16-21
- Week 1 (February 26): Genesis 2:15-17; 3:1-7, Psalm 32, Romans 5:12-19, Matthew 4:1-11
- Week 2 (March 5): Genesis 12:1-4a, Psalm 121, Romans 4:1-5, 13-17, John 3:1-17 or Matthew 17:1-9
- Week 3 (March 12): Exodus 17:1-7, Psalm 95, Romans 5:1-11, John 4:5-42
- Week 4 (March 19): 1 Samuel 16:1-13, Psalm 23, Ephesians 5:8-14, John 9:1-41
- Week 5 (March 26): Ezekiel 37:1-14, Psalm 130, Romans 8:6-11, John 11:1-45
- Week 6 (April 2):
- Palms: Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29, Matthew 21:1-11
- Passion: Isaiah 50:4-9a, Psalm 31:9-16, Philippians 2:5-11, Matthew 26:14-27:66 or 27:11-54