LISTENING TO GOD.
I will listen to what God the Lord says (85:8).
What an active commitment: I WILL LISTEN!
Here is another version:
Let me hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people,
to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts. (NRSV)
Would you commit to LISTENING TO GOD daily/weekly? Here are a few suggestions:
- Carve out 30-60 minutes a week to pray with an open Bible and journal.
- Spend time daily in silence and solitude – with scripture at the centre.
We have 3 bible reading options available to help:
- Whole-Bible plan (2-year plan)
- Discovery plan (2-year plan as well but lighter)
- Daily Office plan – This reading plan encourages daily reflection in the Psalms and includes daily readings from the OT and NT and Gospels. You’ll be reading through the Psalms more than once a year and through the Bible in 2 years. This plan also stays connected to the church year (from Advent to Pentecost + ordinary time) so you’ll be reading scripture that helps you focus on the life and teachings of Christ in the appropriate season.
Daily Office Option 1: Book of Common Prayer Click on “Daily Office” then “Today’s Office: Readings Only” at the top of the page)
Daily Office Option 2: Bible Gateway
Try spending at least two minutes of silence before and after your reading. The use of a journal to record highlights, prayers, questions and application is widely encouraged and helpful.
- Include a one-minute pause once or twice each day to welcome God’s presence into the rest of your day.
- Using a simple mantra such as: Jesus free me, Jesus fill me OR I am still and know that you are God can be helpful to quiet your mind.
- Consider these two main questions at least monthly:
- What is God saying to me? (Mainly through scripture but also through the teachings of Christ and how the bible unpacks them. Consider also this question in this season, circumstance, or conversation.)
- What am I going to do about it? How will I respond, repent or reorient because of what I’m hearing from God?
- Make Sunday mornings a priority. We teach through the scriptures in community. Slow down to pray and worship and encourage each other’s spiritual journey.
- Join us for our monthly ABIDE Prayer Night.
God promises to speak“to those who turn to him in their heart.” No matter what we do or read or how much time we spend trying to listen to God, the shift usually comes when our heart is turned to Him; when we desire in our heart more than anything to hear and receive from Him.